When granite tells the story
>When granite tells the story
When granite tells the story
Embed this item to access it offline
You are in Veyrières, a typical rural village on the Plateau Bortois where the granite has survived the ages to bear witness to past daily life. As you go along the sunken paths, you will cross the lands of the lords of Mauriange and discover the Romanesque church, several fountains that are essential to the life of the village, and Limousin-style farms. The route is family-friendly and offers the possibility of doing only the first small circuit of 4.5 km.
2 points of interest
A characteristic Romanesque church from the 12th century, Notre Dame de Veyrières depended in the Middle Ages on the priory of Port-Dieu (Confolent-Port-Dieu, in Corrèze). Its bell is the oldest in Corrèze (1466). Moreover, the quadrangular shape of its bell tower is unusual in this department, where the wall belfry (wall pierced with arches in which the bells swing) is the rule
Bistro of the pas
While there were nearly 200,000 bars in France in the 1960s, by 2015, there were only 36,000. Bistros play a role as a vector of social link, especially in the countryside.
Departure from the church.
- Follow the path to the left of the war memorial until you reach a fountain. 10 m further on, take the road on the left. Go through the village and continue straight on, ignoring the road to Las Vargnas on the left. The road becomes a track.
- At the fork in the track, follow it to the right. The route overlooks a vast valley. When you reach a farm pond, take the road on the right.
- At the next crossroads, where two paths cross, you can take a shortcut by taking the trail on the right. Otherwise, continue on the large circuit by turning left on a narrow trail at the edge of the woods. 700 m further on, follow the path on the right that goes down to the road. Cross it and continue straight ahead. At the next intersection, bear right. The path ends at the recycling points. Follow the road to the right for 50 m. After the café-bar, take the road on the left: at the first intersection, find point 3.
- Turn left: this narrow trail is crossed halfway by a municipal road. Take a slight right turn to continue on the trail opposite. When you reach the village, after going through between the farm buildings, take a small trail on the left. This leads to the road that you will follow on the left. At the next intersection, turn right to return to the church car park and then left to return to the starting point.
- Departure : Place de l'église, Veyrières
- Arrival : Place de l'église, Veyrières
- Towns crossed : Veyrières, Saint-Bonnet-près-Bort, Saint-Victour
Access and parking
From Ussel, take the road D 45 towards Bort-les-Orgues, for about 10 km. Once in Veyrières, turn left at the bus stop, towards the church, and continue for about 150 m.
Place de l'église, Veyrières
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: