Autour de la Sombre
The Chapel of L'Herbeil
- At the sign, take the track, it runs alongside broad meadows (you may see the European stonechat). Continue on the path on the left.
- At the next crossing turn left on the earth path, cross a small stream and after 50 m take a trail that descends on the right. Cross the bridge over the Sombre and continue on the trail until you reach the track
- Turn left onto the track. At Rouzeyrol, take the road on the right for 300 m. Then take the track on the left towards Roc Grand for 400 m.
- Continue along the track on the right. It leads to the Roc-Grand lookout point which overlooks the confluence of the Sombre and Dordogne rivers.
- Return to the fork (2.5 km round trip).
- Go along the meadow on the right, pass between the trees, alongside a field, then take the path through the coniferous trees that descend into the valley of the Sombre. Cross the stream (naturally dark in colour) and go up ahead by the road that leads into L'Herbeil. Go on through the hamlet to the Fontaine Saint-Simon sign.
- Turn right alongside the low walls to reach the Saint-Simon fountain. Go back to the road and turn right. Pass in front of the chapel Saint-Simon. Then leave a road on your left.
- Where a track crosses, continue on the road for 250 m then fork left onto another path. At the road continue straight ahead to find your starting point again.
Access and parking
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: