Beyond the water
Beyond the water
Embed this item to access it offline
This fairly challenging walk "navigates" through the undergrowth of the gorges bordering the Pont-Aubert stream before it joins the Dordogne river at the Aigle dam. From La Terrade, you will follow part of the long-distance hiking route "from Villages to Dams" (yellow and white markings) which covers 200 km and allows you to discover the Dordogne gorges.
4 points of interest
Soursac villageSoursac (506 inhabitants at the last census) is well worth a detour; the way it has flourished elegantly highlights the local heritage. The commune has two major structures: the Rochers Noirs viaduct (on the former railway line used by the Tacot tramway to link Ussel to Tulle) and the L'Aigle dam (hydroelectric dam). Bordered by the Dordogne, don't miss a barge trip in a 'gabare' from the village of Spontour to discover the history of navigation in the Dordogne gorges.
Pont Aubert streamThe Pont-Aubert is 17 km long and has its source at an altitude of nearly 600 metres in the commune of Neuvic. It is listed in the Natura 2000 network as an important site for the otter and the white-clawed crayfish. It offers an 8-hectare lake, supervised swimming in July and August, fishing, children's games and a water slide.
- Small patrimony
Bread oven at La TerradeThe villages of Limousin were all heavily involved in agriculture. Walking through these hamlets always produces interesting discoveries during a hike: barns, mansions, crosses and monuments, traditional local architecture... Don't miss the well and the oven at La Terrade.
The Dordogne from Villages to DamsYou are walking on a section of the "itinérêve", the long-distance hiking route promoted by the "La Dordogne de Villages en Barrages" Association. At 200 km in length, this trail links Confolent-Port-Dieu and Argentat-sur-Dordogne and allows you to discover the beauty of the gorges of the Haute Dordogne.
Park at the seasonal tourist information point.
- ake the D16 on the left towards the town hall. At the end of the village, take the road on the right towards Spontour. Follow it for 800 m.
- Take the track on the left at a cross. Continue straight ahead. On the descent, take a path to the right and then a trail to the left that follows the Pont-Aubert stream, sometimes going away from it. Cross it by the footbridge and go up to La Terrade.
- Straight on past the first houses. Join the departmental road which you take to the right; fork right immediately; as you leave the village, the road becomes a track and then a path. It goes down to a stream. On the way back up, at the T-junction, turn left and go to Freyssinet.
- Take the road to the right. Turn right at the next crossroads towards Le Moulin de Puy Long. Go over the bridge and past the houses on the bend.
- On the way up, leave the road and follow a track to the left for 300 m. Turn right on a trail that goes up and joins a road.
- Follow it to the right for 100 m, then take the track to the left. At 200 m, when you reach the forest, take a trail on the right, go on alongside a meadow and go down to the stream (follow the markings carefully). You will find a portion of the road that you used at the beginning. Go up the stream as far as the crossroads and turn right. A footbridge crosses the stream. Go back up to the road.
- Follow it to the left for 50 m and take a trail to the left. Cross the bridge and go up towards Soursac. Go left at the road to return to the starting point.
- Departure : Tourist information office car park, Soursac
- Arrival : Tourist information office car park, Soursac
- Towns crossed : Soursac
Departure point in common with the trail "from Pont-Aubert to the Viaduct of the Rochers Noirs". Follow the signs carefully as you leave the village.
Access and parking
40 km from Meymac, follow the D 171 and then the D 166.
Tourist information office car park, Soursac
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: