The Templars (shorter route 2)
The Templars (shorter route 2)
Embed this item to access it offline
The region was marked by the presence of the Templars (Templar tombs in the church at Courteix) and by the Seigneury of Châteauvert (medieval tomb in the church at Couffy). This route offers a succession of open views over the Plateau de Millevaches and the Monts d'Auvergne, passages through woodland undergrowth and the chance to go through typical Haute-Corrèze villages. There are two possible starting points, the church in Courteix or the town hall in Couffy-sur-Sarsonne, from which the main circuit can be reached, taking you on a round trip.
3 points of interest
- Heritage site
CourteixCourteix church, built in the 12th and 13th centuries, was part of the Maltese Commandery of Bellechassagne. On the paved floor of the church, there are several gravestones of former monks of the Order of Malta. Outside, a fragment of the old cross marks the site of the former cemetery, which has been relocated.
- Peat bog
Wet meadowsSituated at the bottom of valleys, often in spring areas or on the bank of a stream that is barely flowing, wet meadows and peat bogs provide small reserves of fodder in times of drought. Livestock finds food there during very hot and dry weather events. In the spring, these areas are also good for dragonflies.
The Plateau of MillevachesCulminating at an altitude of nearly 1,000 metres at Mont Bessou, the Millevaches plateau takes its name not from the number of cattle grazing on its green pastures but from the expression ‘one thousand springs’, as there is so much water.
Depart from the church in Courteix. Go up towards the D161 towards Couffy. At the next crossroads, turn right towards La Chabanne.
- Go through the village. The road becomes a path. Ignore a path on your right. At the next two Y junctions, turn left. When you reach a beech forest, turn right to join the road and follow it to the left for 100 m.
- Follow the track on the right that leads to Lachaud. In the village, take the road on the right. Turn right again at the rest area. Before a bend in the road, take the earth path straight ahead.
- At a crossroads, take the track straight ahead (go left for the full track), which goes to Mansouneix.
- Cross the departmental road and go down the small road. At the building before the river, turn left onto a path that you follow straight ahead to reach point 1. Turn left and go through La Chabanne. Turn left at the crossroads to get to Courteix.
- Departure : Parking on the church square, Courteix
- Arrival : Parking on the church square, Courteix
- Towns crossed : Courteix and Couffy-sur-Sarsonne
This path consists of a large circuit that you can join either at Courteix or at Couffy, making a round trip. This large loop circuit is the subject of a detailed sheet.
Access and parking
The departure point is 14 km from Eygurande: follow the D21 headed towards Couffy, then the 161 towards Courteix.
Parking on the church square, Courteix
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: