The Templars (shorter route)
The Templars (shorter route)
Embed this item to access it offline
The region was marked by the presence of the Templars (Templar tombs in the church at Courteix) and by the Seigneury of Châteauvert (medieval tomb in the church at Couffy). This route offers a succession of open views over the Plateau de Millevaches and the Monts d'Auvergne, passages through woodland undergrowth and the chance to go through typical Haute-Corrèze villages. There are two possible starting points, the church in Courteix or the town hall in Couffy-sur-Sarsonne, from which the main circuit can be reached, taking you on a round trip.
3 points of interest
On your way back from your walk, don't hesitate to take a break in Couffy. In addition to the cross of Oradour before the village and the Gallo-Roman cippe (the old lid of a deceased person's funerary urn), the small church dedicated to St-Martin (probably represented on the image of a bishop holding a book carved on the portal of the building) houses the recumbent effigy of the Lord of Châteauvert.
The Plateau of Millevaches
Culminating at an altitude of nearly 1,000 metres at Mont Bessou, the Millevaches plateau takes its name not from the number of cattle grazing on its green pastures but from the expression ‘one thousand springs’, as there is so much water.
Situated at the bottom of valleys, often in spring areas or on the bank of a stream that is barely flowing, wet meadows and peat bogs provide small reserves of fodder in times of drought. Livestock finds food there during very hot and dry weather events. In the spring, these areas are also good for dragonflies.
Departure from the town hall in Couffy. Go up to the D21 and turn left for 400 m.
- Follow the track to the left that leads to Lachaud. In the village, take the road on the right. Turn right again at the rest area. Before a bend in the road, take the earth path straight ahead.
- At a crossroads, go straight on (go left for the complete loop) to reach Mansouneix.
- Cross the road and continue on the road that descends. At the building before the river, turn left; continue straight on this path until you reach a T-junction. Leave the circuit for the church at Courteix : (1.5 km round trip): Turn left and go through La Chabanne. Turn left at the crossroads to get to Courteix.
- Take the path to the right. At the next two Y junctions, turn left. When you reach a beech forest, turn right to join the road, which you follow to the left for 500 m to return to the departure point.
- Departure : Parking on the church square, Couffy
- Arrival : Parking on the church square, Couffy
- Towns crossed : Couffy-sur-Sarsonne, Courteix
This path consists of a large circuit that you can join either at Courteix or at Couffy, making a round trip. There is also a shorter route for this long circuit, which is described in detail in a separate sheet.
Access and parking
The departure point is 12 km from Eygurande: follow the D21 towards Couffy. The town hall is 1 km on the left before the village.
Parking at the town hall, Couffy
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: