From leaves to needles
The Ambrugeat church
History and resistance
Clément Laguerite, born in Laubard, also a member of the Resistance, was a victim of the massacre on 10 June 1944 following false information that the occupying troops in Ussel wished to surrender. Forty-seven young people, including Clément, went to collect their weapons and were massacred.
Viewpoint overlooking Mont-Bessou.
Viewpoint overlooking the Monts du Cantal.
Bread oven at La Gautherie
Café on the square
- At the entrance to Laubard, at the cross, turn onto the path on the right. When you reach the track (FR44), turn left, cross the railway line and at the crossroads, take the second trackway on the left to reach the first houses in Matrillat.
- At the intersection, do not go up towards the village, but take the forest path opposite. When you reach the Le Las road, continue on the path opposite, which leads to Beynat.
- In the hamlet, veer left for 100 m, then right (the path alongside the house is not very obvious) and, finally, right to reach the D 123. At this road, turn left and then immediately go down the path on the right. Cross the railway line and continue straight on.
- Take the second path on the left, cross the watercourse and go straight up for quite a long time until you reach the track.
- Turn left, and immediately after the stream, turn left again, following the GR 440, which leads to the D 123. At the departmental road, go straight ahead. Go left at the track: go up, past a house and continue to the crossroads.
- Turn right, left and right again through the narrow lane to the track.
- At the forest track, go right and then take a path on the right that leads to La Gautherie. Go through the village; at the D76 go straight on and turn left immediately. At the road, go to the right to go straight to the village of Ambrugeat.
- Departure : Church Square, Ambrugeat
- Towns crossed : Ambrugeat, Meymac, Pérols-sur-Vézère
You can also start from the Sèchemailles holiday village. Head towards the edge of the lake and turn right. Walk alongside the lake, crossing the beach, the fitness trail and two bridges. At the car park, opposite the Château d’Ambrugeat, you reach the road, turn left and right to reach the church.
There is a shorter route (11 km) which is described in a separate information sheet.
Access and parking
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: