Heritage and Traditions
3 points of interest
St Pardoux les Cards CemeteryThe portal is surmounted by two veiled funeral urns. The funerary urn is a tradition that dates back to Antiquity where the ashes of the deceased were collected in a container ranging from a simple terracotta vase to a solid gold object. The veil can symbolise sadness or mourning. It also bears an unusual title -Equality- which appeals to the passer-by.
- Heritage site
Villemonteix ChâteauAn archetype of the late Middle Ages with its central keep, parapet and pepperpot towers, Villemonteix Château is also elegant as a result of the discreet modifications made in the 18th century. Among its treasures are an exceptional double Pleyel by Béatrice de Camondo and a rich collection of tapestries (Aubusson, Felletin, Flandres, Beauvais, Gobelins)
In patois, Coudoursoux means the small dry branch of a tree or bare stem of a plant;
by derivation, the word refers to a skinny person. The wood of Coudoursoux is composed of various species that contribute to biodiversity.
- Take the road to Chénérailles in the direction of the cemetery, cross the D 55 and continue as far as La Bussière.
- Go through the hamlet keeping to the left and just after the Coudoursoux stream, take the path to the right.
- Where the paths meet, continue to the right and at the crossroads, turn right.
- At the intersection, turn left and continue on the left to reach Margnat.
- As you leave the village, take the path on the left and continue until the 2nd crossroads.
- Turn left and follow the path straight on to return to the stream, the Coudoursoux.
- Just before the stream, take the path on the right to the D 53.
- At the road, turn right and then take the path on the left after the Coudoursoux stream to return to the road.
- At the intersection, turn left and stay on this road, keeping to the right to reach Mornat.
- Go through the village keeping to the left, take the path to the right and at the junction, continue to the right and follow the path until you reach the road.
- Turn left and go straight ahead until you reach a T-junction.
- Turn to the right to return to the D 55; Follow it on the right for 25 m then take the road on the right to go to Essuis.
- Go through Essuis then follow the D 55 to continue across the road to Saint-Pardoux les Cards.
- Departure : Place du Monument aux Morts, St Pardoux les Cards
- Arrival : Place du Monument aux Morts, St Pardoux les Cards
- Towns crossed : Saint-Pardoux-les-Cards
Access and parking
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: