The village of Besse
The Cantal Mountains
For the workers employed at the mine, there was no question of returning to their homes every day. The mining company built houses for them, often more comfortable than their peasant dwellings. The engineer, the manager and the mine foremen also had to be accommodated and their rank ensured their residences were more opulent.
The number of miners was always modest, ranging from 60 in 1902 to 20 in 1923, when it closed. The memory of the mine is retained in these dwellings with their very particular architecture.
Departure point on the square on the edge of the D36. Head for the old butcher's shop; turn right and then left on the Rue des Sources. Then turn right on the Rue du Château d'Eau. The latter rejoins the Rue des Sources, which we follow on the right.
- 100 m after leaving the village, follow the road to the left. At the crossroads with the Pézareix road, continue on the track straight ahead. At the next crossroads, take the path on the right. Go straight on to Besse. Take note, at the entrance of the village, turn right on the small path that goes to the well.
- Take the road to the left. At the last house, turn right onto the Chemin des Chèvres follow it straight ahead.
- Take the road to the right and then to the left. Go past the stream, the Ambrugeat. 600 m after the bridge, turn left onto the track. Continue along the motorcycle path, go through the gate to reach the dyke.
- Just after the dyke, follow a path in the woodland to the left. Take the road on the left and then, in a hairpin bend, the path straight ahead. Take the road on the right, then leave the Route des Nèves and go on until you reach a crossroads.
- At the crossroads turn left towards La Chabane. At the top of the hill, take a path on the right. Go left at the first crossroads. This path joins up with a track that you take on the right. It leads to Cisterne.
- In the village, follow the road to the left for 1 km. Take a path to the left. Turn right at the road to reach the Pézareix mill. Take the road on the left which rises and becomes a track. Turn right when you reach the road.
- At the crossroads, turn right: the road runs alongside the ralway line. Turn left at the railway crossing and then take the path on the left just after the crossing keeper's house. Turn left at the next crossroads; the path becomes a track.
- Take the road to the left; go left at the next crossroads; cross the railway line. Turn right at the next crossroads to return to Maussac.
Access and parking
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: