History and Heritage Trail (by mountain bike)
The forest of Epagne
The forest of Epagne is particularly remarkable for the nature of its soil. The massif is located on an outcrop of alkaline rocks, while the surrounding rocks are acidic in nature. These rocks (called gabbro) are associated here with other rocks called eclogites.
These particularities give rise to a specific biotope, or habitat, unique in Limousin. There is a mosaic of forest habitats, some of which are of European interest: alluvial forests (bank afforestation), holly and beech forests, scree forests.
Several species living on the site are also remarkable: Greater mouse-eared and Barbastelle bats, Otter (mammal), Sculpin and Planer Lamprey (fish), and Stag beetles (insects).
For all these reasons, the Epagne forest is a Natura 2000 classified site, listed under the European Habitats Directive of 21 May 1992.
Its rarity is also recognised by a Prefectural Decree for the Protection of Biotopes dated 7 July 1994.
La Vige originates on the territory of Saint Junien la Brégère, at an altitude of 536 m.
La Vige is 27.9 kilometres long, this part of the Millevaches plateau located in the Creuse department. It flows into the Thaurion at Saint Martin Sainte Catherine, about fifteen kilometres west of the town of Bourganeuf.
The Mill of Montboucher
The church of Saint-Amand-Jartoudeix
The Clides menhir
- Take the road opposite, follow it straight ahead, pass Pontauty and then take the road on the right towards Le Monteil. Take the first road on the right that goes around Le Monteil, follow it for 300 m, then take the road on the left, the gateway to the site of the forest of Epagne. Go straight ahead, leave a track on the left and paths on the right to reach a wide crossroads. Take the alternative route at the end on the left, follow the path to the wooden footbridge, cross it, then continue on the path that rises. At the top of the hill, turn right and continue to the village of La Terrade, go through it and continue on the path that ascends.
- At La Terrade, go through the farmyard and return to the road on the right. At the last farm, turn left between the buildings, pass the new house and continue to the path to the Pierre Billard road. Turn right, then, 50 m further down the road, take the first path on the left. Follow it until you reach the road to the left. Before the Chez Lord bridge, take the road on the right which runs alongside a large house and its pond towards the mill. Before reaching this building, turn right on the path that leads to the village of Moulin-Jeune via the woods.
- At Moulin-Jeune, go between houses to reach the main road again, follow it on the left for 200 m and then take the first path on the left, surrounded by meadows. Continue straight ahead.
- Just before reaching the Besse road, turn left on the path that leads to Le Pont du Beige. Take the road opposite, on the right of the house, and continue around the second farm. When the road makes a right-angled right turn, leave it, and take the path straight ahead alongside a big fence, then, a few metres further on, take the path on the left that runs alongside a meadow and goes through an area of forestry. At the end of this wood, turn right onto the farm track that goes up into the meadows, then goes down into a wood. Cross the river Béraude by a wooden footbridge, and then climb up to the private chateau of Védrenas.
- In front of the entrance of the chateau, take the pathway on the right, follow it to the road. Continue on the left for 200 m, then take the first track on the right which leads to Montboucher. Cross the road straight ahead towards the housing development. At the top of this road, in the right-angled bend, a grassy path borders the gardens and drops back down to the road. Turn right towards the town centre and then right again towards the church.
- Walk past the church towards the cemetery and stay on the main road. Before reaching the cemetery (recommended detour), turn left onto a path that leads down to the RD 36. At the road, turn right and follow it until you reach the junction with the RD 941. At the crossroads, Follow the RD 941 carefully on the right for 300 m and cross it to take the road on the left towards the Montboucher mill (watch out for traffic!). 300 m further on, turn right onto the dead-end road leading to the mill, pass in front of it, and continue on the path bordering the right-hand side of the pond to the village of Gorceix.
- At the metal cross in Gorceix, take the track which rises on the right and a few metres further on, another track on the right to the village of Le Clou. Once you reach the road, follow it on the left and go through the village. As you leave the village, take the first trail that ascends on the left, ignore a path on the left and continue straight on through the fields. After a left turn, turn right on a forest path. Where the three paths cross, take the one on the right that goes up to the top of the Puy de Saint-Amand-Jartoudeix, then leave the path on the left to reach a cross and a breathtaking view of the town. Continue straight ahead along the path that goes around the puy, leave a path on the right at a water reservoir, then a path on the left and finally a last path on the right.
- When you reach the road, fork left onto the left-hand road that goes up to the village, go past one road on the left, and go down towards the main road. When you reach it, follow it to the right until you reach the church and its cemetery, go past them, fork right and return to the bottom of the puy. Follow the main road on the left for 800 m towards Marcoux. Turn left onto a tree-lined path to join a road which you follow on the left towards a detached house. Take the path on the right which goes up and around the house. On the right-hand side of the path, you will find a small menhir and, a little further on, a stone cross deserves a short round trip. This path leads to the RD 941 in the village of Nouhaud, follow the road to the left to return to the car park.
- Departure : Parking, Le Nouhaud, D941
- Arrival : Parking, Le Nouhaud, D941
- Towns crossed : Saint-Amand-Jartoudeix, Sauviat-sur-Vige, Saint-Pierre-Chérignat, Montboucher
Place du Champ de Foire, 23400 Bourganeuf
05 55 64 12 20
Access and parking
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: