Around the Lakes
Around the Lakes
Embed this item to access it offline
You are in an area known for its mushrooms, and the landscape is remarkable in autumn when the trees are full of colour and reflected in the ponds and lakes.
3 points of interest
Etang de la BrivonneAmong the remarkable fauna, the Marsh harrier, the otter and the Natterjack toad; Rare species of invertebrates (dragonflies in particular) also live there. The ponds and lakes of Flayat are also home to a flora typical of the peat moors.
- Agricultural diversity
Dry stone walls of NoudièreUntil the dawn of the 20th century, the balance of the rural economy was based on extensive sheep farming (pastoral use of the communal moors) and seasonal emigration. Intensive rearing of suckling calves was then introduced, pastures were improved, and the poorest moorland was planted with coniferous trees: This was the system before wooded meadows.
- Peat bog
WetlandThe ponds in the Flayat region are classified as ZNIEFF. On the periphery of these ponds, there are many grazed meadows; The flora that develops there indicates clearly that some of them are distinctly peaty.
- Take the Etang de l'Ecluse causeway and continue to the road.
- Once on the road, turn left for a few metres and then go down the path on the right which goes into the woods.
- At the road, turn right and go through the small village of Gandouly then continue along the road to the D 29.
- At the crossroads, go to the right and go through Noudière.
- As you leave the hamlet, go to the left, past the last houses, then take the first path on the right.
- Continue up the path which rises to the lake, Etang Neuf.
- Cross the river by the small wooden bridge and continue straight on until you reach the D 29. Turn right to get back to the starting point.
- Departure : L'Ecluse, Flayat
- Arrival : L'Ecluse, Flayat
- Towns crossed : Flayat and Saint-Agnant-près-Crocq
Access and parking
In Flayat, head in the direction of l'Ecluse (D 29) and park at the crossroads with the road to Boulareix.
Crossroads Route de l'Ecluse/Route de Boulareix
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: