The waterfalls and mills of the Deiro
>>
Home
>
Pedestrian
>
The waterfalls and mills of the Deiro
Soudeilles

The waterfalls and mills of the Deiro

Discovery trail
Fauna et flora
Heritage site and architecture
Lakes and rivers
Embed this item to access it offline
In a cool, green environment, the waters of the Deiro flow in cascades between the granite outcrops, with an energy once exploited by two mills that used to grind rye and buckwheat.To the rhythm of the Deiro waterfalls, a discovery trail for the whole family, where the story of the renovated mills is told.
In a cool, green environment, the waters of the Deiro flow in cascades between the granite outcrops, with an energy once exploited by two mills that used to grind rye and buckwheat.

3 points of interest
Heritage site

The Laffon Mill

In this land of water, mills appeared in the Middle Ages. In the 19th century, Corrèze had hundreds of them. Of modest size, the mills are located on small rivers. The river is diverted by a channel (the mill race) to a reservoir (the millpond) located above the mill. Its operation was simple and ingenious: a horizontal wooden wheel with scoops, placed under the mill, drove the wheel, turning on the frame, to grind rye and buckwheat.
read more
Fauna

The otter

In the shelter of the rocks of the Deiro, a discreet and fascinating animal is hiding: the European Otter. It feeds on fish, but especially on amphibians or crayfish. This animal, which spends a lot of time playing, is a witness to the quality of the water and the preservation of the environment. Once prized by trappers for their fur, otters had almost disappeared. Today, the otter is present on all the watercourses.
read more
Heritage site

Contensousas Mill

The mill was built around 1860 by the Contensousas family. Once covered with thatch, the mill operated throughout the seasons, according to the family's need for flour. The precious grains stored in the attics had been brought down by oxen to the mill. The water released from the mill pond would drive the mechanism. Rye flour was used to make bread loaves and buckwheat flour for pies. The mill stopped turning in 1950.
read more

Description

  1. From the car park, go up by road for 30 m and, on the left of the information panel, go down by the path along the edge of the field. Continue into the beech woods, cross the stream and descend to the river, the Deiro.
  2. At the mill at Lafon, turn right, pass the sign (on the diversion of the watercourse) and continue upstream. After the first waterfall, climb the stairway to the next waterfall.
  3. At the Contensousas mill (exterior panel explaining how it works: push the door to discover the old mechanism), continue along the path that runs alongside the old dam on the right, then take the broader path on the right. It rises through the undergrowth and then in the fields. Go up by road to the right to Monjanel and, at the crossroads, go down to the hamlet on the right (1693 building with a large "bassière" which used to be used as a place of worship) before reaching the starting point again.
Departure : South of the hamlet of Monjanel, 50 m from the last barn
Arrival : South of the hamlet of Monjanel, 50 m from the last barn
Towns crossed : Soudeilles

Altimetric profile


Information desks

1 rue Joseph Vialaneix, 19300 Egletons

http://www.tourisme-egletons.com

accueil@tourisme-egletons.com

05 55 93 04 34

Find out more

Carrefour de l’Epinette, 19550 Lapleau

http://www.cc-ventadour.fr

accueil@cc-ventadour.fr

05 55 27 69 26

Find out more

Access and parking

8 km north of Egletons by the D165 (in the direction of Davignac), D119 (towards Péret-Bel-Air) and after the A89 the route de la Braute and du Monjanel on the left.

Parking :

South of the hamlet of Monjanel, 50 m from the last barn

More information


Report a problem or an error

If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: